Here are some of the statistics that absolutely horrified us when developing our brand and researching the impacts of plastic pollution. This is what inspired us to create a brand that supports the removal of plastics from our oceans and waterways:
- There is now 5.25 trillion macro and micro pieces of plastic in our ocean & 46,000 pieces in every square mile of ocean, weighing up to 269,000 tonnes.
- Every day around 8 million pieces of plastic makes their way into our oceans.
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is around 1.6 million square kilometres - bigger than Texas.
- The world produces 381 million tonnes in plastic waste yearly – this is set to double by 2034. 50% of this is single-use plastic & only 9% has ever been recycled.
- More than 1 million seabirds and 100,000 marine animals die from plastic pollution every year.
- 100% of baby sea turtles have plastic in their stomachs.
If you would like to learn more about the plight of our oceans and the impact of plastic pollution, check out this video from National Geographic about plastic pollution here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQTUWK7CM-Y